Monday, March 14, 2011

If you don't love me...

I love chocolate. Love it, love it, love it. But chocolate does not love me. Nope, chocolate actually makes me violently ill. As do a number of other foods that contain various substances my body just can't handle. Let me be clear. I love all these foods. But did I mention they don't love me? So what do I do? I eat the foods that do love me. Vegetables love me. Chicken loves me. Yogurt treats me extremely well. Olive oil is a big fan of mine. So I eat those kind, gentle foods and I stay away from the ones that aren't so nice.

My food allergies are such a great metaphor for the rest of this thing we call life...

I love all of life. I love all of the possible fantasies and catastrophes that I imagine. I love being a a storyteller. But the fantasy and catastrophe stories that I invent most definitely do not love me. My catastrophic imaginings of the future overwhelm me with anxiety. My fantasies make me keep me from recognizing all the amazing gifts that come my way in the present moment.

Both my fantasies and my fictitious catastrophes are attempts to divine the future. Why? Because if I can tell the future, then I can prepare for it, I can *control* it. Or at least I think I can. Just like chocolate, feeling in control is one of my deep loves. And just like chocolate, my desire to control other people, places and situations is a cruel and torturous lover. It makes me fearful, worried and judgmental. It creates paralyzing self-criticism and outrageous expectations of others. Control is not my friend.

So, for the record...oy vey. It does not feel good to admit for the 4 millionth time that I can't control the future.

But now that I have admitted it, what are my options? Well, just like I choose spinach over chocolate, turkey rather than bread, I can choose life strategies that support me. So, what life strategies love me as much as 2 hard-boiled eggs love my digestive tract?

Generosity, compassion, patience, listening, self-care, self-love, surrender, flexibility. These life strategies make me feel terrific. They love and support me. They help me connect to others. They have my best interests at heart.

No offense, control, but you are officially invited to go hang out with pizza and ice cream...over there, away from me.

I love all of life, it's true. But for today, I choose the life that loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment